Finally, after three attempts with other recipes, a simple and great pizza crust has been found!! I was lucky to get a picture of it before it was completely demolished. This crust is just as good as regular pizza crust and you can pick it up and eat it. This is a recipe I adapted from the Real Food website. I believe the net carb count for the entire pizza is around 9.6 carbs. I cut mine into 9 squares so the crust was a little over 1 carb each (does not include toppings).
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella
- 3/4 cup almond flour (I used 1/2 cup because I wanted an even thinner crust)
- 2 tablespoons cream cheese
- 1 egg
- Heat oven to 425 degrees.
- Put mozzarella and cream cheese in a medium size microwaveable bowl. (It is recommended that it works better to cube up the cream cheese before melting it with the mozzarella.)
- Microwave for 1 minute, stir and then another 30 seconds, stir (very hot!).
- Stir in egg and almond flour.
- Wet hands and spread dough thin on parchment paper. It should spread evenly with dough-like consistency. If too stringy, then your cheese has hardened too much so just put it back in the microwave for another 20 seconds or so.
- Dock (poke rows of holes) with a fork to avoid bubbling.
- Sprinkle with garlic salt.
- Put on cookie sheet.
- After about 8 minutes (watch closely though), check it and poke holes where any large bubbles may be.
- Continue cooking for a total of 12-14 minutes or until slightly brown on top. (Mine did not take quite as long – probably because I used less almond flour.)
After the pizza crust was finished. I put on a very thin layer of pizza sauce (with no sugar). I then added pepperoni and cooked sausage with lots of mozzarella cheese. Topped it off with a little Italian seasoning, and returned it to the oven just long enough for the mozzarella cheese to melt. Yum!!