A yummy recipe from George Stella’s Real Food Real Easy cookbook. Serves 4-6. Calories: 460, Fat: 19 g, Protein: 63 g, Fiber: 1 g, and Net Carbs: 4 g.
- 1 tablespoon trans-fat free margarine (or butter)
- 4-6 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 8 ounces light cream cheese (or regular cream cheese)
- 2 cups frozen broccoli florets
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or salt substitute)
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- ADD margarine or butter to a large skillet over medium-high to high heat, until sizzling. Add chicken breasts and brown well, about 3 minutes each side.
- TRANSFER chicken to a slow cooker set to low. Add the chicken broth to the skillet the chicken was cooked in over medium-high heat and use a spatula to scrape the bottom, breaking up any glaze the chicken may have left in the pan. Heat broth until simmering.
- ADD the cream cheese, broccoli florets, salt, and garlic powder to the slow cooker and then pour simmering chicken broth over top.
- COVER and let cook 5-6 hours, or until chicken is thoroughly cooked. After the first hour of cooking, stir well to disperse the cream cheese throughout.
- WHEN chicken is finished cooking, set the slow cooker to high and stir in shredded Cheddar cheese, until melted. Serve immediately.
George Stella’s Tips: If you are planning on leaving the house, you can skip the stirring an hour into cooking by melting the cream cheese in the skillet before adding the chicken broth in step 2.
George Stella’s Variation: The broccoli will break up into the sauce, and that’s not a bad thing, but if you’d like something with a little more texture, start with fresh broccoli or (even better) cauliflower florets. Also, you can add 2 teaspoons of Dijon mustard for a little more zing (which I did).
I found this recipe at http://www.aboutamom.com. The carb count is not available but based on the ingredients, it is very low.
- 3 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 32 oz. chicken stock
- 1 (14.5 oz.) can diced tomatoes
- 1 medium yellow pepper, diced
- 1 medium red pepper, diced
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 6 oz. mushrooms, thinly sliced
- 1 (8 oz.) package McCormick Taco with Chipotle & Garlic Skillet Sauce (I could not locate this sauce so I used 6 oz. tomato paste, paprika and chipotle chili powder)
- 1 tbs. season salt
- 2 tbs. fresh cilantro, chopped
- Except for the fresh cilantro, add all ingredients to the slow cooker. Cover and cook on low for 6 hours.
- Using two forks, shred the chicken breasts. Gently stir in fresh cilantro, cover, and continue cooking for an additional hour.
This recipe makes a lot of soup, about 14 cups. I topped off with a little sour cream.
This is a great recipe from Dana Carpenter’s 300 Low-Carb Slow Cooker Recipes cookbook. It yields six generous servings, each serving with 7 net carbs. I have made it several times and froze whatever I didn’t use.
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1-inch cubes.
- 1 can (14-1/2 ounce) tomatoes with green chilies
- 1/2 cup sliced onion
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 envelope (1-1/4 ounce) taco seasoning mix
- 1 can black soybeans
- 1/2 cup sour cream (optional)
- Put the beef, tomatoes, onion and chili powder in your slow cooker. Cover the slow cooker, set it to low and let it cook for 8 to 9 hours.
- Stir in the taco seasoning and soybeans. Re-cover the slow cooker, turn it to high and let it cook for another 20 minutes. Place a dollop of sour cream on each serving.
Another great recipe from http://www.ibreatheimhungry.com. This crock pot recipe serves 10 and has 2 g. net carbs per serving.
- 2.5 – 3 lb. boneless chuck roast
- 1/2 cup salsa verde
- 1/2 cup canned chopped green chilis
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 2 tbsp. dried onion flakes
- 1 tsp. garlic powder
- 1/2 cup red and yellow peppers cut into strips
- 1 tsp. salt (or salt substitute)
- 2 tbsp. ground cumin
- 1 tbsp. ground coriander
- 1 tsp. dried oregano
- 1 tbsp. chili powder (or a little more if you like it spicy like me)
- 1/2 tsp. black pepper
- 2 tbsp. apple cider vinegar
- Generously season the roast with salt and pepper. Sear in a hot pan until browned on all sides. Place the meat in the bottom of a 5 qt. crock pot (slow cooker).
- Add the salsa verde, chilis and tomatoes to the pan you seared the meat in. Deglaze and bring to a boil. Pour over the meat in the crock pot. Add the onion flakes, garlic, peppers, salt, cumin, coriander, oregano, chili powder, black pepper and apple cider vinegar and stir.
- Cook for 4 hrs. on high or 6 hrs. on low (or until the meat is tender). Shred the meat and serve with your choice of toppings.
This is a great crockpot recipe from http://www.thesweetslife.com. I have calculated it at 4 servings and around 4 net carbs per serving.
- 3 large boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 celery stalk
- 1 onion, diced
- 1 clove garlic
- 16 oz. low sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 cup hot wing sauce
- large lettuce leaves (Bibb or iceberg)
- 1-1/2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 large celery stalks, thinly sliced
- blue cheese, for serving
- ranch dressing, for serving
- Combine the chicken, onions, celery stalk (1), garlic and broth in slow cooker. Cover and cook on high for 4 hours or on low for 8 hours.
- Remove the chicken from the pot, reserve 1/2 cup broth and discard the rest. Shred the chicken with two forks, return to the slow cooker with the reserved broth and the hot sauce. Cook on high for an additional 30 minutes (or just keep on warm for another hour or two).
- Serve chicken on lettuce cups, topped with buffalo chicken, shredded carrots, chopped celery, blue cheese and ranch dressing, if desired.