This is not a low-carb recipe, but it is Paleo and healthy. It is from http://www.food.com. This recipe serves 8 and I would estimate the net carbs to be 16.6 g because of the natural sugar from the apples.
- 3 lbs. baking apples (I used honeycrisp)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1-1/2 cups water
- 2 thin lemon slices
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- PEEL and core apples (you can leave the skin on a couple of them if you like the taste and texture). Cut apples into approximately 1 inch cubes.
- ADD all ingredients to the pot and turn heat on high. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce heat to low. Simmer for 20 minutes or until the apples have softened significantly.
- STIR frequently, making sure that the apples are not sticking to the bottom of the pot. Add more water if necessary. Remove lemon slices (if you can find them).
- MASH with a potato masher or use a food mill for a smoother consistency. Serve warm or at room temperature (also good cold).