This is a recipe for people who enjoy baking (like me). While this is a low carb recipe, it still has around 13g net carbs per serving (12 servings total) so this is more of a “special occasion” dessert. [Recipe from http://www.wheatlessbuns.com]
For the filling:
- 2 cream cheese (8 oz. each and room temp)
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup water
- 1 packet plain gelatin
- 1/2 cup xylitol (powdered)
- 1/4 cup fresh lime juice
- 1 tsp. grated lime peel
- 20 drops of Stevia extract
- A couple of drops of green food coloring (optional)
For the crust:
- 1 cup almond flour/meal
- 1 cup shredded unsweetened coconut
- 3 tbls. butter (melted)
- 2 tbls. xylitol (powdered)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Spray or grease a 9″ springform pan. Mix the crust ingredients and press into the bottom of the pan. Bake for approximately 12 minutes or until it starts to get lightly browned. Allow to cool.
- In a mixing bowl, beat the cream cheese until smooth. In separate bowl, beat the whipping cream to soft peaks.
- In a saucepan on the stove, sprinkle the gelatin over the water–let rest for about 1 minute. Then stir in the xylitol, lime juice, grated peel, Stevia drops and green food coloring. Turn the heat on low and stir until the sugar dissolves.
- Pour the gelatin mixture slowly into the cream cheese. Turn the mixer on medium and keep blending. At first, it will look like green jello with cottage cheese, but don’t panic. Just keep the mixer going until the mixture has a smooth texture. Then fold in the whipped cream.
- Spoon the mixture onto the crust and spread evenly. Garnish with toasted coconut and grated lime. Refrigerate for a few hours, then remove the springform.♥