This is a delicious, healthy and sweet salad which can be a main dish or a side dish. The recipe comes from http://low-carb-news.blogspot.com. This dish claims to yield 12 servings but it is so delicious it yields around half that in my house. 1 serving = 4.1 net carbs. There are variations to the recipe that I will add to the bottom.
- 1 lb chopped broccoli
- 1 lb chopped cauliflower (chopped into very small chunks)
- 1/2 lb bacon, fried and crumbled (about 7 slices)
- 2 cups grated Smoked Gouda OR cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 cup mayonnaise
- 1 cup sour cream
- liquid sweetener to equal 1/2 cup sugar (or 1/2 cup sugar substitute OR to taste)
- 1/2 tsp salt OR to taste
- In large salad bowl, combine broccoli, cauliflower, bacon and 1-1/2 cups Smoked Gouda or cheddar cheese;
- In medium bowl, combine mayonnaise, sour cream, sweetener and salt. Stir the creamy mixture into the broccoli salad. Sprinkle the remaining cheese over the top. Cover the salad bowl with plastic wrap and chill before serving.
Variations: Leave out the cauliflower and use only broccoli. Add some chopped or sliced red onions. Replace the cauliflower with diced cooked chicken. Maybe add in some chopped, hard boiled eggs.