Another great recipe from George Stella’s Real Food, Real Easy cookbook. It has 3 net carbs per serving. There are great variation ideas at the end of the recipe. I’ve added ham to this recipe and am looking forward to trying it with bacon next time. Enjoy!
- 2 tablespoons fat-free margarine (or butter)
- 4 boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- salt and pepper
- 8 ounces mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 4 slices Swiss cheese
- Add the margarine or butter to a large skillet over medium-high to high heat. Once sizzling, add chicken breasts and sprinkle liberally with salt and pepper.
- Cook chicken until golden brown, about 3-4 minutes per side.
- Add mushrooms over chicken and sprinkle garlic powder, as well as another small pinch of salt and pepper over top. Cover, reduce heat to low, and cook an additional 5 minutes, or until cutting into chicken at its thickest part reveals no pink.
- Place oven rack about 6 inches from the top, set broiler to high and transfer chicken breasts to a sheet pan. Top chicken breasts with an even amount of the cooked mushrooms, and then cover all with the juices from the pan. Then top each with a slice of Swiss cheese.
- Broil for only 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is bubbly and melted. Serve immediately.
Variation: A slice of ham or two strips of bacon can be added between the mushrooms and the Swiss cheese for even more smothered goodness!