A great low-carb recipe from buttoni.wordpress.com. Nutritional info: 113.4 calories, 7.26 g fat, 1.72 g carbs, .53 g fiber, 1.19 g net carbs, 12.8 g protein.
- 3/4 cup plain whey protein
- 1 c. crushed pork rinds
- 1 tbsp oat fiber (optional)
- 1 tsp spice blend (I used a cajun spice)
- 1/2 tsp. onion powder
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese
- 1/8 tsp. coarse black pepper
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 c. heavy cream
- 1/4 c. water
- 1/2-3/4″ deep hot oil in a large 13-14″ skillet
- Chicken (I used 8 thighs, but you can use whatever chicken pieces you want)
- Measure out and mix all dry ingredients in a paper bag by shaking well. In a large bowl, whisk the eggs, cream and water together. Toss in the pieces of cut up chicken into the egg wash and turn several times to well coat each piece. Pick each piece of meat out of the bowl and drop into the bag of seasoned “flour” and when you have 3 pieces in the bag, holding the top closed, shake the bag to coat the chicken. Don’t put more than 3 together.
- Heat 3/4″ deep oil over high heat. Place the pieces closely together. Lower heat to medium-high so larger pieces don’t over-brown before done. Repeat the coating process with the remaining pieces of chicken. Brown the chicken well on one side disturbing as little as possible. Turn pieces of chicken over carefully to brown the second side. when brown and done (about 30-40 minutes) remove to paper towels to drain. Finish cooking the remaining pieces if you were unable to get them all in your skillet.